RVing is all about discovering the great unknown, powering down the monitor and seeing new destinations in a new way. But while “getting away from it all” is important, there are many ways you can tap into tech to help make your next great escape that much easier. Here are a few gadgets from the pros at Bucars RV in Calgary that will keep you as plugged in as you want to be on the road.
Rand Mcnally Tripmaker RVND 7710 – Designed specifically for RVers, this GPS will customize your route, accounting for the dimensions and propane restrictions of the RV class you’re driving. A crisp, 7” HD screen displays all the info you need on the go, secured by a heavy-duty dash mount. You can track your trips, use helpful checklists, customize your points of interest and get the lowdown on upcoming rest areas and RV-critical stops.
Magellan RoadMate Pro 9165T – Built with RV travel in mind, the RoadMatePro comes pre-loaded with information on Canadian and U.S. campgrounds as well as over a million points of interest. Customize your routes according to your RV’s dimensions and familiarize yourself with the road ahead. Spoken turn-by-turn directions and a 7” HD screen make it easy to keep your eyes on the road and your hands on the wheel.
Coby Dual USB Car Charger – Charge multiple devices while you drive and make sure you’ll never be disconnected. Compatible with all USB devices including smart phones, MP3 players and PDAs.
Surge Protector – Nobody likes to think about it, but a power surge can happen for all sorts of reasons. Don’t take the risk. Safeguard your tech with an RV surge protector.
Even easier to store and carry than laptops and with virtually all of the same functionality, tablets are a favourite piece of tech for frequent travelers. With both WiFi and 3G connectivity options available plus an ever-growing number of useful apps to help you work, play, communicate and discover, tablets are steadily becoming indispensible allies for road warriors of all ages.
Apple IPad 2 – The kingpin of the tablet world, the IPad2 continues to set the standard for others to follow. In addition to its 9.7” screen and ultra-thin body design, the IPad2 boasts an impressive 10-hour battery life. With over 140,000 apps to choose from, the IPad2 can accommodate any need that may arise and even some you didn’t know you had.
Amazon Kindle Fire – With its vibrant 7-inch screen, suite of must-have apps and library of over 18 million songs, movies, TV-shows and books, the Kindle Fire is proof that good things really do come in small packages. Though it lacks a camera or GPS, the Fire boasts a price tag half that of other tablets, making it a no-brainer for the money-conscious techie.
IPhone 4S – The IPhone 4S will quickly become your digital Swiss-army knife. Connect to a fast 3G network or tap into nearby WiFi. Shoot incredible photos and HD video. Locate nearby dumpsites, browse the best in local eats, or plan your next diversion with one of the thousands of apps available. Add in Siri, the voice-recognizing personal assistant, and you’re going to wonder how you ever got along without one.
Samsung Galaxy Nexus – With an eye-popping 4.65” screen, this smartphone is sleek, slim and lightning-fast, boasting 4G connectivity. Capture your memories in style with a built-in 1.3 megapixel, 1080p camera. Store your photos, songs, music and more on its ample 16GB of storage space. Android’s new OS is slicker than ever and there’s a massive library of apps ranging from helpful to quirky waiting to be explored.
1. Allstays Camp & RV – The ultimate outdoor travel app. Browse on and offline through over 20,000 camp sites, RV parks, amenities, overnight parking, rest stops and more in this must-have app for RVers.
2. Hootsuite – Update your Facebook and Twitter accounts with this easy to use hub. Post a quick update to one or both services and let those you care about know how your adventure is going.
3. Groupon – Find a great deal no matter where you’re headed with Groupon’s money-saving app. Awesome savings on everything from gourmet meals to windshield repairs, conveniently sorted by location.
4. Yelp – Hungry? Yelp helps you find the top rated restaurants nearby. From Irish Pubs to Pan-Asian cuisine, read reviews from choosey customers on the best spots to eat, drink and relax.
5. OpenTable – Place a reservation from your smart phone with hundreds of OpenTable-enabled restaurants across Canada. Choose your date, time and party size to see all available time slots at nearby restaurants. Never wait in line again!
6. Instagram – Snap a photo, add a touch of personality and share it with the world! Instagram makes photo sharing simple. Connects with Facebook and Twitter to update friends on the fly. Only available on IPhone.
7. Angry Birds – This surprisingly addictive little game will have you flinging fowl for hours on end. Use a hilarious array of birds as ammo in your quest to destroy evil pigs and reclaim your stolen eggs. Seriously.
8. The Weather Network (The Weather Eye) – Know the conditions ahead with this handy, free weather app. From hourly forecasts to 14-day trends, you’ll know exactly what you’re in for.
9. Poynt – Get the scoop on hot upcoming events, check out boutique retailers, source out a local business or see what’s playing in theatres and buy yourself a ticket with this all-in-one business hub. Best of all, it’s free.
10. Trip Advisor – Find out the must-see sites and attractions so you can maximize your time! Research your destination and get real-life opinions on thousands of attractions from people who’ve been there.
11. Starbucks Mobile – Speed up your pit stops and pay from your phone. Manage your balance, track your rewards points, find your nearest location, and cure your coffee cravings with the official Starbucks app.
12. WordPress – For all the wordsmiths out there, this handy app makes it easy to post updates to your blog right from your smartphone. Fire off a quick update or compose your next literary masterpiece.
13. RV Care – This app helps RVers locate their nearest RV Care dealer should they need supplies or help while travelling.
14. GasBuddy – Find the cheapest gas while on the road in Canada and the U.S. with this free app.
Have some favourite gadgets and gizmos of your own you’d like to share? Let us know in the comments below.