There are a lot of RVers that come to Bucars and decide it’s time to upgrade to a nicer, newer RV. A lot of RVers that are looking to upgrade also need to trade in their old RV before they can purchase a new one. When trading in your RV, there are a few things that need to be assessed to determine the trade in value. Factors that will be looked at are the age, mileage and the overall condition of your RV. The age and mileage may be big factors, but an RV that has been well maintained over its life can still be worth a fair bit of money. That being said, there are a few things that you can do before trading in your RV to get the most value possible. We’ve created this handy guide to help you navigate the trade in process and get the most out of your old RV. Remember, if you need any kind of advice about preparing your RV for trade in, the parts experts at Bucars RV just north of Calgary can provide you with the advice you need.
Factors affecting the value of your RV.
Determining the trade in value of your RV is a complex process. At the end of the day, recreational vehicles are still vehicles and they depreciate in the same way that cars and trucks do. An important thing to assess is what RVs have recently sold in the area for as reported by the folks at PPL. Seeing what other RVs have sold for given the current market conditions is also something to keep in mind.
Preparing your RV
If your RV looks like a million bucks, it’s more likely to be worth more money. The more you can make your RV look and feel like new, the more it will be worth when it comes time to trade it in. Let’s face it, no one wants an RV that looks like it hasn’t been taken care of. It’s a good trade in practice to make sure everything is as clean as possible and in good working order.
Here is a list of things that you should take care of before trading in your RV:
- Do a complete interior and exterior detailing.
- Empty and wash out the storage and basement storage areas.
- Make sure the awnings are in good condition and are working properly.
- Clean up the engine bay, engine and generator using a degreaser and a power washer.
- Replace any stained or damaged upholstery.
- Empty out all of your personal items.
- Make sure all of the RV’s systems are working.
- Mechanical parts
- Find any of the original paperwork, fact sheets or owners manuals for the RV if you have them.
- Make any minor repairs to the RV that may be needed.
- Ensure that there are no leaks in the roof or windows.
- Find all of the keys to the locks on the RV.
Small things like this will help give your RV that look and feel of a new RV. Ensuring that everything is neat, tidy and in working order is a big part of the RV trade in process. If there is nothing wrong with the RV, you can feel confident knowing that you will get the most value possible for your RV when trading it in for a new one.
If you follow these steps when trading in your RV at Bucars RV, then the trade in process will be a breeze and you will be able to get a lot of value for your old RV. If you need advice on fixing up your old RV before trading it in, the parts experts at Bucars RV are happy to help and can provide you with the advice that you need.